Re: Car Names Explained

To: RACE427@aol.com
Subject: Re: Car Names Explained
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 00:25:00 -0600
This is an interesting topic to someone who likes automotive history
but is certainly no expert. My guess is that the mnemonic
identification of car models goes back a damn long way in automotive
history.

Here in the US, we have the Ford Model "T" and such vehicles as the J2
Allard (and wasn't there also a J2 Deusenberg?), Pontiac GTO, Ford
GT40, Chevy "SS"...etc...etc...etc. In Europe there were tons of car
identifications like this. Type "35" Bugatti, Austin "Seven",  Jaguar
XK series (120-150..etc), Fiat X/19, Cooper "S",  Porsche 356 and on
up, etc etc etc.

Some of these were legitimately derived from racing events such as the
"CanAm", "TransAm", "GT" ... but many seem to simply be marketing
ploys such as the Pontiac Firebird "Formula" (who's formula was that
anyway?), a GTX (Xceptional? Xtreme? X as in Has Been?), and the one
parked in front of my house which has Z71 on the ass end of the truck
bed. What the hell does the Z71 stand for anyway?

I think I will start calling my Midget an "MG XTrii84 Formula16".
Anybody know where I can get that done up in chrome coloured plastic
that can be glued to the boot lid and bonnet?

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City