Re: Car Names Explained

To: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Car Names Explained
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:10:20 -0800
     Jim Johnson wrote:  "Here in the US, we have the Ford Model "T"

Hey, wait a minute!  Don't get ahead of yourself.  The Ford Model A,
Model AC, Model B, Model C, Model F, Model N, and even the Model BC all
came between five and nine years before the Model T!  Of course, they
had all ceased production by the time the Tin Lizzy came bursting upon
the scene as the first truly affordable American-built car.  The Tin
Lizzie was in turn replaced by the Model "TT" in the mid-20's.  For
introduced the Model A a really great car in the late 20's, and then the
Model "B" in the early 30's.  A lot of cars people mistakenly call the
Model A was in reality the Model B.  Interestingly Ford produced first
the Model Y and then the Model C, but built them only in their factories
in England and Germany.  Finally, a Ford CX was produced in the late 30's.

My Dad was a die-hard Ford man, and my brother and I were imbued with
Ford lore early in life.  What fun it was when, in the early 50's, he
bought a Model B complete with a rumble seat.  It was in the garage and
the 51 Ford Sedan was in the driveway!  Of course, there were a lot of
those pre-war Fords that were popular cars with the kids, especially
when the chopped down for a hot rod.  Now, those were the days when hot
rodding and dragging were common place on the streets of Southern
California.

Buster