You like airplanes, eh?

To: "Spridget List (spridget list)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: You like airplanes, eh?
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:20:29 -0600
I used to work for a big movie theatre company.  I am glad I don't still
work for them.  I miss some of the folks but not the corporate atmosphere
and related corporate CYA and BS, etc., that goes along with a big
corporation full of too many vice presidents with no real meaning but real
big egos.
Anyway, the Technical Services division had yearly meetings.  The Tech
Services VP and really the entire Tech branch were really great people.  If
we could have just gotten rid of Operations..........    One of the
company's former founding partners left a while before(as a gozillionaire)
and his hobby was restoring old fighting aircraft.  Near the corporate HQ in
Knoxville there is a museum devoted to fighting aircraft (of WWII, I
think).  This place was a giant hanger that you could eat off the floor of,
with a landing strip, etc.  All of the planes on display were flyers.  Many
of them were owned, but on loan to the museum, by the former founding
partner.  I think all the planes were WWII vintage execpt I remember one MIG
that was really long and only about 10 feet wingspan, like a rocket.
Anywho, we took a short tour of the museum section and then we went into the
big hanger where they had tables and a buffet set up.  So, about 100 tech
types got to eat, look at planes, eat again, look at planes again, to our
heart's content.  It was really a nice evening.   I recommend the place to
anyone who like planes and finds themselves in the Knoxville area.  Also,
the NAS at Pensacola, FL has a nice museum crammed with a whole lotta
planes, and you can catch the Blue Angels there, too.
Last tidbit.  I lived near Jackson, MS for a while and a guy up there had a
P-51 Mustang.   That thing had the most impressive sound.
Cheers,
Derf