Engine and gearbox removal questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine and gearbox removal questions
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:45:18 EST
Hi list,

Well having just swapped the reversing light switch in my Sprite's type 9
gearbox with a neat aluminium blanking plug (its a metric thread and took me a
while to source one) - to save weight (car has early rear panel and no
reversing
lights so it looks pre-69, I took another look at the clutch release bearing.
 Unless I'm mistaken there is almost no bearing surface left so it looks like
I'll have to pull engine and box.  This is a real PITA because I was hoping
it would last till I swap the engine for a new one later in the year AND it's
bad timing because grasshopper Ron isn't likely to be dropping by this weekend
or next........  The good thing is that the exhaust manifold, inlet and carb
are already off the car and it's likely to be 3 weeks before I get the new CV
manifold back and coated (I don't even have it yet).

This will be the first time I have pulled the engine and box since the type
9,  5-speed was fitted.  It will also be the first time I've pulled the engine
in the garage the car is currently in so have some questions:

       How much headroom do I need for the highest point of the engine crane
when it has lifted the engine and box clear of the front panel?  I guess it is
the height of the top of the front panel + the total height of the engine +
the height the sling for the crane is above the engine - anyone have that
measurement handy?  The reason I ask is that the garage room has a cross member
and
light where I'd rather there wasn't one and I don't want the crane to hit it
just as the engine is clearing the car.

       How much extra height do I 'save' if I remove the front panel and how
easy is it to do this without disturbing the front wings?

       How safe might it be to unbolt the crossmember in the garage roof and
the light fitting for about half an hour to give me some extra clearance.

Note outside the garage is a very short driveway (a lot less than a car's
length) that slopes downhill so manouvering the engine crane outside the garage
is not an option.

Finally, how much distance do I need to manoevre the crane foward with the
engine and box on it (or move the car back) if I can't readily swing the engine
to one side once it is clear of the car.

Is it realistic to remove the engine on my own (I can't remember if I did it
my own last time or not).

Other finally, is that I do need to pull the gearbox at the same time as I
need to swap the bellhousings from the original fabricated hybrid to a cast
hybrid.

Thanks

Daniel1312