Re: Engine and gearbox removal questions

To: Christian Manuel <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox removal questions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:36:17 -0500
Christian Manuel wrote:

> If I have an engine and tranny together but out of the car, would it be
> easier (as a first timer on this) to split them to put them back in?

NO!!!
Much easier to install both as a single unit. Especially the first time.
After a couple hundred R&Rs it's not that big a deal to remove or
replace them 1 at a time.
5 speeds stay put if the engine comes out. That's for sure.
For sure, seperate them and inspect the clutch. 10 minutes now saves a
weekend later. And you will at least know. You will need a clutch
alignment tool to put the disc back in.
If you lay the engine in a truck, make sure the oil is out.
It's best to strap it tight and upright. Don't just lay it in the bed,
if you hit the brakes hard, it's a major heavy unstopable force coming
at you and the bodywork of the truck.
I could show you what the skeg of an outboard motor looks like as it
punches thru the front of the bed and the back of the cab before it rips
the back of the seat.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ