Machinist / measuring help

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>, VSAAB Unmoderated List -
Subject: Machinist / measuring help
From: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:56:54 -0600
Good morning all,

        I have a minor dilemma.  I am trying to measure the bore of one of
my 2 stroke engines (Bullnose) and I have several measuring tools but
I don't know the "trick".  That is to say that I have telescoping
guages, internal micrometer, calipers, and micrometers but in all of
that I can't figure out how to insure that the internal mic is in the
proper plane for measuring the cylinder bore.  As this tool, and the
telescoping guages too, can be horizontally and vertically from an
ideal plane (which would give max and correct diameter) I don't get
the measurements correct.  I know this because according to my
measurements the pistons should not fit in the cylinders yet they do..

.. so how does one really measure the cylinder bore?

Thanks all,

Lester