Re: Windshield rod question...

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>, spridget List
Subject: Re: Windshield rod question...
From: "Dave G." <dmg@bossig.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:48:30 -0800
To all who've answered so far.. Many Thanks...

>From Frank
> I thought the rod was added with the new windshield in 65 with the
> roll  up windows.
It is a '65 and does have the roll-up windows and quarter vents.
.
> It also holds the rear view mirrow.
The rear view mirror has been mounted in the middle of the scuttle
where the bottom bracket should have been. A great way to look behind
the front seat but no way to see out the back of the car!

> Does your cowl have the 2 holes for the center rod?
I think those are what the DPO used to mount the mirror.  Is it a
'cowl' or a 'scuttle'?? I'd like to use the correct words!

> Does the windshield  have the little knob for it?
The four holes are there in the top of the windshield frame BUT the DPO

has cut off the rivets and files them flush with the surface!! Didn't
even bother to get
them out... Is there a way to get them out?? Or should I leave them in
and try tapping them?

Also the frame doesn't have the typical Aluminium look or feel. It
almost looks like a silver/gray plastic or polymer coating has been put
on it.

At speed, would the rag top have enough "lift" to take the top
windshield frame out??

The whole thing is missing.... bottom bracket, rod, mirror and top
bracket.

Two questions...
1) Does anyone have the parts they would be willing to part with?? Moss
and VB both list the top bracket as "NA"

2) Is the rod assembly structurally necessary to keep the windshield
together??

Right now I'm busy going through the usual books trying to see if
anybody has written about it...

I'm not looking for Concours, the car will never get to that state,
and it's too good to be parted out, but I would like to see who's
behind me  - especially if they have lots of antenna's or coloured
lights    :-))

Dave G.
--
Dave KK7SS