Classic car petition in the U.K.

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Classic car petition in the U.K.
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:17:39 -0700
A few minutes ago, Vigil posted a note asking that they sign the
following petition to the Prime Minister Tony Blair.

    Currently cars have to have been constructed before a set date - the
    1st January 1973 to be eligible for historic car tax exemption. We
    the undersigned would like the date to be move as it has been fixed
    for a number of years. A number of cars which were built in British
    factories are becoming few and far between and would like the
    Government to help preserve these cars by offering and extension on
    the current exemption date.

Unfortunately, the web site address was incorrect, and this is the
correct one.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/

Of course, this is supposed to the for British subjects only, but I
assume that this list is made up about 100% of British expatrites which
you have to scroll down to highlight.

Incidently, the Prime Minister's Office decided late last year to try
this experiment in ground-up democracy, letting people post and sign
petitions.  Unfortunately, one of the first petitions someone posted was
to have the government cancel plans for a road tax that was supposed to
help "global warming".  It would have imposed a tax of up to $5.00 a
mile on all cars.  Over two million people quickly signed the petition,
and it is said that in the Prime Ministet's Office, somebody had their
head rolled for such a silly idea of letting the people express their
opinion.  Blair's reaction was to the effect that, "Oh, you signed a
petition against it?  How nice.  But we are going ahead and tax you anyway!"

Buster Evans