RE: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT

To: "'William McLeod'" <wbmcleod@cox.net>, "'Linda Grunthaner'"
Subject: RE: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:18:06 -0500
Bill,
Not true!  While the "split window buses" were really NOT recommended by
the manufacturer for traveling at highway speeds, the "bay window"
models featured MUCH better suspension geometry and were a vast
improvement.  The "Vanagon" models (my favorite) are VERY good on the
highway and handle amazingly well.  In crash testing, done in the 80s
(during their production run) they held up VERY well.  In fact, when in
a head-on collision with Volvo's latest design of the era, the Vanagon
just ATE the Volvo!
But, then, based upon the crash-test mindset, the Spridget HAS to be one
of the most dangerous vehicles on the road!
So, to Linda, I would recommend either a "bay-window" VW camper
('68-'79), or a Vanagon camper ('80-'91).  Best bet is to be patient and
wait until a true, one-owner, low original mileage unit shows up, and
JUMP ON IT, QUICK.  No bargains to be had, here.  However, if it's been
PROPERLY MAINTAINED (like with our Spridgets, there's a lot of bad
information/urban myths/bad repair & maintenance practices going on),
it'll be a delight to own and drive.  Excellent club support is
available for ANY older VW.  Parts for the water-cooled models (Vanagon
"water-boxer") can be rather pricey, but, they're available.
Bud Osbourne