Re: Sigma BC1200 Bicycle Speedo and Sumitomos

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sigma BC1200 Bicycle Speedo and Sumitomos
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:08:29 -0500
>> I know a number of you have done this and added a
>> Bicycle Computer to resolve an errant speedo
>> problem. Need some advice on best place to mount
>> magnet and sensor.
>
> I'm curious to see how this works out. My Alfa's
> speedometer seems to be sending somewhat exaggerated
> reports.
>
> BTW, LBC content - I picked up a set of Sumitomo HTR
> 200 tires for the Alfa, and I see they are one of the
> few tires listed in sizes that would fit a Spridget. I
> did a get-acquainted-with-the-tires sideways driving
> sesion in an abandoned parking lot yesterday, and I
> like them a lot, especially the feedback they give
> during hard braking. I wouldn't hesitate putting them
> on the Sprite next time.

Thanks for the review, Ron. I have been thinking about those if I could just
get these blasted Yoko Avids to wear out...

I used JB Weld to attach a rare-earth magnet to the drum and fabbed a
bracket to hold the reed switch. I do like to be able to rotate my tires
without breaking the beads... I also like to have it work while I am
autocrossing with different rims.

I did try mounting the reed switch bracket to the nose of the diff and
putting a magnet on the flange, but it turned out that the BC1200 is limited
in the numebr of pulses per second that it can process. The speed readout
was perfect, but all of the calculated functions from odometer on down ran
slow. It thought that it was only 400 miles from Palatine, IL to Tamaqua,
PA... Googlemaps thinks it is 718 ;-)
I am happy with my BC1200.
David Lieb