engine driven with no oil

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine driven with no oil
From: "de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)" <cyrille@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:20:25 -0600
Hello,

My Wife (got to love her) just drove the 1500 midget with no oil in it (the
oil filter poped out for some unexpected reason)....

my guess is that the oil filter poped out after 1 or 2 s of engine running at
startup. she then drove the car for around 1mile with oil being pumped out of
the car....

when looking in the valve cover, they were still some oil there, so I do not
think that the valve/lifter area got damaged, but the bearings is what
troubles me the most...

so, what am I looking at here? can I just keep driving the car (with oil),
should I imediately change the bearings and inspect the crank? any
sujestions?

thanks cyrille