Can we make them here any more? (w/ LEC list approved content)

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Can we make them here any more? (w/ LEC list approved content)
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:48:22 -0700
 From the Military.com website ( http://tinyurl.com/2uyagp ): "In the
military, there is a great deal of debate going on now the the Army is
sending troops into battle with the compact M4 carbine
<http://tech.military.com/equipment/view/89046/m4-carbine.html> - a
shortened version of the M16
<http://tech.military.com/equipment/view/89049/m16a2-5.56mm-rifle.html>
- that is now standard issue for most Army troops, some Marines and
other specialized units is facing increased criticism because of its
tendency to malfunction with even the minutest exposure to the
elements."  One of the readers responded:

    "It's strange that we've been unable to manufacture and put in the
    field a good assault rifle. The other side already had one in the
    AK47 when we started producing the M16. Hell, the Germans had one by
    the end of WW2 that made the Thompson look like something invented
    by Al Capone. Or maybe it was. I can't remember. That German weapon
    of 1944 was probably even better than the M16 of 1964...So, maybe
    that's now why the Pentagon is looking at weapons manufactured by a
    German company (and a Belgian company)...We can't make decent
    electronics, we can't make cars better than the Japanese, and now we
    can't even manufacture weapons for use by our own troops...I guess
    it's like the song says, "We Can't Do It Here Any More."

Don't know what to say other than get a bigger gun.  When I was in the
Navy we used 16" coastal guns without such problems.

Buster Evans