Re: engine test stand

To: "charlie shelden" <shelden3@pldi.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine test stand
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:48:12 -0700
Hi Charlie,

I built one out of some junk angle iron and pipe I had kicking around.
2"angle for the bed, 1 1/2" angle for the bracing and 2" pipe for the legs.
I had an old Datsun radiator with a fan attached that I used for cooling,
switch for on, and some bent strap for the muffler to set on.

I've used it for all the "A" series engines, mini included and now ready to
run some Datsun ones on it.  Have an electric fuel pump and toggle for it
and spark.  Solenoid for the starter, ancient Morris Minor motor towers.
Lot easier to use than Spridget ones.  I cut the legs at an angle on the
bottom and welded large caster wheels from Harbor freight.  2 fixed, 2
swivel.

An assortment of rad. hoses allows me to hook up about any engine.  A tip
for the muffler setup.  I use the engine exhaust pipe with an adapter or 2
from the auto parts store and I just slip them into each other and to the
muffler I have for this getup and use sheet metal screws to keep them
together.  One per joint is all that's needed

Oil pressure guage with a temp guage from the radiator works out nicely.  I
use a dummy transmission, case only, for the rear supports.  Whole thing is
about 6 feet plus long

My only regret is I didn't do this 20 years ago.

Later, Paul A