Re: 948 engine/tranny weight

To: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Subject: Re: 948 engine/tranny weight
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:25:10 -0700
The Datsun 5sp and the ribcase are interchangeable as far as pulling the
engine/trans.  Both are easier done together.  I also use a piece of wire to
tie the driveshaft to the shifter tower and pull it at the same time.  Once
I get the front pulley and pan clear of the crossmember, I push the car back
with my foot as I steady the motor with my hands.  The car rolls back until
it hits a pre-set 2x4 that keeps it from rolling all the way out into the
street...............again.  Then I lower the whole mess onto the floor and
drain whatever part needs some work.  If the motor is getting attention, I
keep the driveshaft in place and slide the trans/driveshaft out of the way
in the corner and save the trouble of draining it.  When installing, the
driveshaft leads the parade back into the bay, saving the trouble of
inserting the driveshaft afterwards.  In fact, that is just what I did last
weekend.

Glen