Re: Gas Tank Venting

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Venting
From: Andy Webster <a_d_webster@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 00:55:22 +1000 (EST)
In Australia, we only recently started getting ethanol blended fuels appearing
at filling stations.
  Some of the independent stations got on to it first, and I am quite happy to
save up to 10c per litre to run my 71 Chrysler Valiant (similar to a 67-68
dodge dart, but with a 245c.i. 6 cylinder hemi) on a 95 R.O.N 10% ethanol
blend, instead of the 91 R.O.N regular. Goes further, pings less.
  I have noticed that these fuels exert a higher vapour pressure...such that
one saturday morning in summer, i was drinking a coffee on the balcony and
noticed a steady trickle of fuel pouring from the filler of the valiant.
  The angle at which the car was parked and the level in the tank, had created
an air pocket, which, as the temperature (and vapour pressure) increased, was
pushing the fuel up and out of the spout.

  Incidentally, I use a 5% ethanol blend in my sprite, which at 100RON is the
highest octane fuel availiable here, without buying it in cans or having a
friend at the local airport who will sell you avgas.

  andy

David Riker <davriker@digitalpath.net> wrote:
     It is normal for there to be a slight pressure
build up inside the tank on a hot day that will vent when the cap is opened
to refuel.

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in
Australia?  Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.