Overheating woes

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating woes
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:47:01 -0400
My Sprite is cooking.
Before I left for England, Buster and I rode around the Jersey Shore all
day with no troubles until we were 2 miles from home and the temp gauge
went above 230 to 80 PSI on the oil gauge. And yes it was cooking and
boiling over.
Let it cool, made it home, and I have since replaced the t/stat because
the old one didn't look like it was open very much while emersed in the
hot water.
Today Diane took the car to work, about 4 miles and when she came home,
it was cooking again, boiling over and 230 on the temp gauge.

1275 with a Geo Metro rad that has been flawless for the past 5 years.
Electric fan and it comes on at the pre set 170*.
It is full of coolant.
New stat works.

So what changed?
Could this be as simple as needing a flush?
I flushed it last year and it was clean.
I change the anti freeze annually.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ