Re: Houston, we have a problem

To: "Jack Laird" <jlaird237@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Houston, we have a problem
From: "John D'Agostino" <john.dagostino@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 07:39:15 -0400
Hi Jack.
My motor had a similar problem, low running oil pressure and zero oil
pressure at idle. It was also overheating. I removed the motor and opened it
up.. The main bearaings were just starting to wear to the copper, and the
rod bearing caps were on backwards. The rod bearings were wiped out. The
shaft measured surprisingly ok and was not scored.
I replaced all the bearings and thrust bushings. I also replaced the oil
pump, They are cheap enough.
I also cleaned the rust out of the cooling passages, cleaned all the gook
out of the pan and washed everything with laquer thinner and WD-40.
I left the pistons and camshaft in place, lapped the valves by hand, new
stem seals and gaskets etc. Cleaned and lubed everything on re-assembly,
used a bit of silicon on the pan gasket.
Now I have 60 psi running hot, 30 at idle hot and the temp gauge creeps just
over 160. An added bonus is the motor does not leak oil.
I also replaced the throttle shafts, now I can actually adjust the idle. New
release bearing and pilot bushing went in too.
Pump, release bearing and gasket set from flebay, bearings and pilot bushing
from Mr. Peter C, total cost ~ $185.00.