[Spridgets] RE Brake lines

To: <smarc@smarc.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] RE Brake lines
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <danginah@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:37:14 -0500
Marc
It seems like the lines are high quality. You have to buy a 5 pack of them
though, no matter how many you actually need.
The longest line runs from the 4 way union (where the brake switch is on the
right inner fender) back to where the hose attaches, on the tab back where the
driveshaft exits the transmission tunnel. I'm not sure if 5 feet would be
enough for that run. Would be close but I'm afraid might be short. Of course
you could join them with a union if the proper type could be found. Then of
course, you need to buy 5 of those 5 footers!
You might be better off just buying a set for the car. I got mine from AH
Spares, but I found they were made buy Automec ( http://www.automec.co.uk/ ).
I bought the copper/nickel lines and was pretty happy with how they were
formable to hand to match the original set. The lengths were right-on and had
the correct ends. As Frank pointed out some of the ends have to be female
thread, others are male. The male ends are located where the lines thread in
to the master (for the clutch AND brake line), all pipes that thread in to the
4 way union, and the pipes that are strapped to the rear axle tubes, on both
ends. The female threads are at the front brake hoses and where the hose
connects to the line for the rear axle.
If you do order a line set from Automec, make sure you ask for the clutch line
if you want to replace that, as the brake line set doesn't include the clutch
line.
PPP might be able to get the lines for you. If not I'd deal with Automec
directly, I really like these lines.
If you DO buy the lines you mentioned in your post, I have a good bubble flare
tool you can use if you need to modify the ends.
Dan G