Re: [Spridgets] RE Brake lines

To: Dan Gillitzer <danginah@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] RE Brake lines
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:48:46 -0400
   As  it  turns out, I didn't need to replace the line! I raised the car
   up  higher  on  the  stands so I could get under there better, and was
   able to free the flare nut pretty easily. The line is quite solid.
   Also,  the  auto parts store sells those lines one at a time. Probably
   the store has to buy a five pack, but at retail you can buy just one.
   Appreciate the offer of the flare tool.
Marc

   Dan Gillitzer wrote:

   Marc

   It  seems like the lines are high quality. You have to buy a 5 pack of
   them though, no matter how many you actually need.

   The  longest line runs from the 4 way union (where the brake switch is
   on the right inner fender) back to where the hose attaches, on the tab
   back  where the driveshaft exits the transmission tunnel. I'm not sure
   if  5 feet would be enough for that run. Would be close but I'm afraid
   might  be  short.  Of  course  you could join them with a union if the
   proper type could be found. Then of course, you need to buy 5 of those
   5 footers!

   You might be better off just buying a set for the car. I got mine from
   AH   Spares,   but   I   found   they   were   made   buy   Automec  (
   http://www.automec.co.uk/ ).  I bought the copper/nickel lines and was
   pretty happy with how they were formable to hand to match the original
   set.  The  lengths  were  right-on  and had the correct ends. As Frank
   pointed  out  some  of  the  ends have to be female thread, others are
   male.  The  male  ends  are  located  where the lines thread in to the
   master  (for  the  clutch AND brake line), all pipes that thread in to
   the  4  way  union,  and  the pipes that are strapped to the rear axle
   tubes,  on  both ends. The female threads are at the front brake hoses
   and where the hose connects to the line for the rear axle.

   If  you  do  order  a line set from Automec, make sure you ask for the
   clutch line if you want to replace that, as the brake line set doesn't
   include the clutch line.

   PPP  might  be  able  to  get  the lines for you. If not I'd deal with
   Automec directly, I really like these lines.

   If  you  DO  buy  the  lines you mentioned in your post, I have a good
   bubble flare tool you can use if you need to modify the ends.

   Dan G