[Spridgets] Removal of rear axle

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Removal of rear axle
From: "Mark A. O'Neil" <mark.a.oneil@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:37:02 -0400
Hi,

Earlier this week I wrote asking about a rear wheel wobble on my '79
spridget. Turns out it was not the rim, but while on the way to get
inspected the wheel threw one of the screws that holds the hub on(?).
My wife while following behind saw and later gleefully identified the
projectile.

The short of it is that the seal broke and gear oil trashed the
brakes so I could not get it inspected after all. Bummer.

The long of it is I have to seal it back up - the mechanic says I
should minimally replace the gasket and o-ring. He suggested that
while I was in there that it wouldn't hurt to check out the bearings
and replace them. Anything else I should look for ?

I have looked at the instructions and have a couple questions:

Is this thing really held in by those three little screws (now two in
my case!) and once those screws are removed should the axle shaft
simply pull out - probably with a bit of persuasion? What am I
missing here if anything? There is a whole paragraph devoted to
removal in the guide - not much more.

If persuasion is required how best to do that - keeping in mind the
farm boy in me says get a bigger hammer!

Thanks,
-m