Re: [Spridgets] Removal of rear axle

To: Peter C <peter@nosimport.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Removal of rear axle
From: "Mark A. O'Neil" <mark.a.oneil@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:08:40 -0400
Peter,

Thanks for the pointers.

The wobble, according to the mechanic, was the result of one screw
missing and the drum screw backing out from vibration. Apparently
that was enough to break the seal allowing gear oil into the drum.
Hence the repair. I guess the o-ring was just a casualty of age.

I am fairly certain I will have another question or two once I get
into it tonight.

Is it important on replacing the axle to get the splines aligned in
the same position as they were when the axle was removed? Or is wear
not really a consideration. From the diagram I have it does not seem
like it would be an issue.

-m