Re: [Spridgets] wheel bearings

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] wheel bearings
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:49:54 -0500
> I'm sorry but even Mr Twist can't convince me that placing the spindle in
> a state of tension will give it strength against lateral loads at the
> base. I've run the timken tapered bearing for longer than I can remember
> without the spacer.

I have a lot of respect for Mr Twist, but I agree with Crash here. Putting
the spacer in there means that the bearings as a unit with the spacer
becomes one single alignment and just a little of imprecision on the part of
the obviously less than machined spacer is capable of adversely affecting
the life expectancy of the assembly. With ball bearings, it would appear to
be less critical, since each bearing is completely assembled at all times.

Bear in mind that Twist is also the one who maintains that a volt/ohm meter
has no purpose when working on an LBC. I don't agree with that, either.
David Lieb