Re: [Spridgets] Lucas side entry cap

To: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Lucas side entry cap
From: Peter C <peter@nosimport.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:33:33 -0600
>Brad, et. al.,

         Couple of points about the distributor cap "conversation"......
The original Lucas made in UK caps you have that are showing brown
are, as Mark E. said, Bakelite showing some age or patina. Shoe
polish is best. The brown you see is way darker than the brown that
Buster and Frank (I think) refers to. You should also find the
original Lucas part number inside the cap: 422905 until about 1961,
then 54412472 later on. The DDB101 number is a Lucas marketing number
that would be on the package but not on the part and began being used
around 1982. (before then the Lucas marketing number was DC1) In this
latter period all Lucas manufactured caps were black, though I
believe they were not Bakelite, but a plastic.
         The brown caps were made by Intermotor or the Commercial
Ignition something-or-other, who are still in business. A redder
brown cap was made in Germany by Bremi I believe and marketed in the
US by Bosch. They may have been Facet, too. I've never done a study
of the various brands, this is from memory. Lucas, Bosch, etc., who
are original equipment manufacturers for some car brands were also
supplying other manufacturer's parts to fill out their product lines
so they could market a "full line" of import ignition components in the US.

Buster, the Sears line of import parts were Beck/Arnley and shipped
from their distribution warehouse in Chicago (HNB Foreign Auto) If
you look at the Sears catalog and the Beck catalog, most of the
Sears' part numbers were Beck's reversed.
         BTW, I am typing this from N's desk which was given to me a
few years ago.

Just trying to help the history.
         Peter C.
=======