Re: [Spridgets] What is still there?

To: "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] What is still there?
From: "Robert Bruce Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:28:30 -0800
Robert Duquette wrote:  "And, I guess I should have called it a roundabout,
too."

"This is it:   http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vbops "

Good view!  (Our of curiosity, what are the two "broken" circles" and
"broken" lines to the southwest?)

"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Difference_between_roundabouts_and_t
raffic_circles"

Great description of what makes them "different".  What caught my attention
was, "Roundabouts are safer than both traffic circles and traditional
intersectionshaving 40% fewer vehicle collisions, 80% fewer injuries and
90% fewer serious injuries and fatalities (according to a study of a
sampling of roundabouts in the United States, compared with the
intersections they replaced)."  The problem, of course, is that they
require more land than "traditional" intersections, making it fiscally not
feasible in  developed urban areas.  They are realistic in newly developed
areas!  Mini-roundabouts would be possible in many residential area.

" No bugs.  It's too cold for them."

Perhaps roundabouts work only in those regions where frigid weather
develops strength of character!

Buster