Re: [Spridgets] No LBC - Affordable Ferrari on CraigsList

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] No LBC - Affordable Ferrari on CraigsList
From: "pdxpete" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:04:58 -0800
There was an interesting article, written by Ferrari broker Mike Sheehan, in
the December issue of Sports Car Market. He said that any Ferrari this side
of the 512 BB (circa "76 - '81) will represent a "challenge" to maintain and
restore. Apparently some model-specific parts, especially the electronics,
just might not be available outside of a salvage yard. (Ferrari also uses an
SD3 diagnostic computer that is not compatible with the standard OBD2
boxes.) In terms of the cost of parts that are available, he cites the
prices associated with 355 parts .... 40 valves at  $179 each, flywheels at
$4,100 a pop, etc.

I once had a student who had turned wrenches for "America's Oldest Ferrari
Dealership" back in the late 70's and early 80's.  Interestingly enough, for
his work on Italian exotics he said got paid the same per hour as the
mechanics in the Chebby dealership down the street.