Re: [Spridgets] Heating the LBC workshop

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Heating the LBC workshop
From: "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:48:54 +0000
True enough.  I haven't had the pleasure of losing all material possessions,
but I have had a basement flood with the associated renovation.  That was
horrible!  People practically living in your house for 2 months; figuring
out the insurance claim; decisions on how to do things since you now have a
choice; juggling contractors; permanent loss of personal items that you
never would have disposed of; expense; etc.  I have a glimmer of what losing
'everything' could be like, but I don't know for sure.

I rolled my MGB over an embankment with passengers in it and landed upside
down.  We all probably should have died, but we all walked away.  I'll never
forget what could have happened because of my actions.

And, I lost my brother to someone else's bad driving.  I would gladly trade
all of my worldly possessions to have him back.

What happens to us in life does change us.  Oh, to young and innocent again!
  I've had it kicked out of me a few times, but people still tell me I'm
full of it.  ;)

On a slightly different note, last night I got home to find that I have ice
dams on my roof and water running through the ceiling in to the family room.
  I had to climb out the 2nd floor bathroom window and shovel 5 feet of snow
to get a place to work.  Then got a ladder and I hacked at the ice on the
roof with the backside of an axe until I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.
Then I went downstairs to find our geriatric dog had crapped in the house.
I got to clean that up.  Then my wife came home and freaked.  One of her
complaints was that I had some Christmas decorations that I had brought up
but had not put outside ( but it was really the running water that had her
going).  I'd been too busy with the snow storm.  So, I put those out and
plugged them in.  Then I hauled out the snowthrower and wrestled it into the
back yard to clear off a working area to pull snow off the garage roof.
Pulled some snow off and used the snowthrower to push that snow further
away.  I decided to widen the dog's walkway a bit and in the process, picked
up one of those wire plant supporters that hadn't been put away and was
buried in the snow.  That wrapped around the snowthrower auger really well.
I cleared that out and replaced the shear pin.  Then I went in the house and
my wife commented that all this didn't phase me much.  I replied that in the
grand scheme of things, I've been through worse and this really wasn't a big
deal.  Maybe that's what they mean by "that which doesn't kill you only
makes you stronger"?