Re: [Spridgets] Please define idiot...

To: "'Robert Duquette'" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Please define idiot...
From: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@att.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:10:45 -0800
It is the black ice that gets the 4 wheelers around here. Ever since they
invented M&S tires when it rains on Donner summit on I80 they require chains
unless you have 4 wheel drive, so you end up with a lane doing 30mph with
the 4X4's going by at 65. Works until they hit the black ice then the 4X4's
are all over the sides of the road wondering what happened. My Jeep Wrangler
will swap ends at 20 when you try to brake, unless you have studded snows on
all 4 corners.  A couple of year ago we had 7' of snow here in town, which
worked out to about waist deep on the roads. I really had to slow down
because the Jeep would plow the snow up over the windshield and I couldn't
see.  The city fathers in their great wisdom had everything out that could
push snow on the main streets and they were dry in 2 days, of course they
didn't do anything on the side streets so you had to chain up, drive two
blocks and then remove the chains, got old after a week. I did learn a
valuable lesson, next time I'll make two lanes on my street with the Jeep.
                Crash

Up here in the great white north, we get a range of snow conditions.  Wispy
to wet ( not to mention freezing rain and 'black' ice ).  What catches a lot
of people off guard, is the polished packed snow at the intersections where
other people have slid to a stop and spun away.  You have pretty good
traction until you get to where you have to stop.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love the Subaru with snow tires for
winter driving?

Robert D.