Re: [Spridgets] Weights of wheels...

To: Rick Fisk <refisk@chartermi.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Weights of wheels...
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:00:50 -0800 (PST)
> Go put on 3 or 4 pairs of heavy pants, 3 pairs of
> socks, and the heaviest
> boots you own.  Fill the boots with water.  Now go
> run up and down some
> stairs about ten times,

Try to turn quickly, too.

All this "it doesn't matter on a street car"
stuff....racing only improves the breed if you let it.
I christened my new garage space tonight with a little
real work (after hanging the new neon AH Sprite clock,
mindful of the space SUPPOSED to be filled with a
poster SOMEONE on the list was gonna send) and changed
the wheel bearings on the street Bugeye. It went well,
the black and white checkered flag floor is reasonably
intact, so I poked around some more. It;s been at
least six years since I did anything ut drive the car.
I did go through the suspension a few years ago (ok, 9
years ago. Remember the Curly Light beer, Peter?). The
uprated stuff I used on there looked great, the stock
stuff was worn. Peter's Italian wheel cyliners look
great. Lockheed F-16 A286 fasteners looked stunning,
Ace Hardware grade 5 bolts looked like, well, roll
pins. It was interesting to see wear patterns on
things rather than the usual shrapnel inside the race
Sprite. Brake pads that didn't look like they were
pulled from a vat of nuclear waste and set to a
grinding wheel. No need to update to Kevlar there, and
those were the front drums.

What to make of this? I don't know - I had to work
while watching football yesterday, so I hit the
leftover beer and Pinot Grigio kinda hard toward the
end there as I was cleaning tools.

I think the message is better parts wear better and
make the car's performance a lot more fun and
predictable. There really isn't much reason to
consciously use crap parts.

The car has bone stock wheels BTW. We all have our
weaknesses.

Night Johnboy,
Ron

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs