[Spridgets] heads up on "rust converters"

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] heads up on "rust converters"
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 23:13:24 -0500
One of the guys on 356Talk has had some very alarming results, using
Eastwood's rust encapsulator system.  Now, I know enough to never use
rust encapsulator, of ANY kind (the translation of "rust encapsulator"
is: "it doesn't ever work"), but, just in case some of you were
contemplating the use of such snake oils......DON'T.
The guy claims that Eastwood's tech rep acknowledged that, under certain
circumstances, there could be a problem.  Seems he used it to treat some
rust-free lap seams, on two California 356s, several months ago.  Now,
there is rust bleeding through the topcoat he used on the undercarriage.
Word is that, if not topcoated soon enough, the stuff reacts with
moisture in the air and creates a corrosive mixture, which keeps
"working" under the topcoat.
Dunno if all of that's true, or not.  But, I do know that the only way
to get rid of pitted rust is by cutting it out and welding new steel in.
Anything else is just delaying the inevitable.
Now, I have no ax to grind with Eastwood what so ever.  From what the
guy says, they've been straight with him, although they can't offer him
a quick, easy fix.  But, if Eastwood's stuff is causing some problems,
so might the others.
So, youns have been warned.
Bud Osbourne
(from Pittsburgh where we KNOW something about stuff gettin'rusty)