Re: [Spridgets] rte.70 to Ozarks?

To: "'Larry & Sandi Miller'" <millerls@ado13.com>, "'Jim Johnson'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] rte.70 to Ozarks?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:06:40 -0500
Just a suggestion, to those fortunate enough to have the time for it:
Take an extra day or two for travel, and avoid the Interstates, and
nat'l chain motels & restaurants.  Map out your route to and from the
Ozarks using two lane, secondary/back roads.  There are dozens of county
inns, and Bed & Breakfast type lodgings available along some of the more
leisurely routes.
I'm a firm believer that getting there should be at least 50% of the
fun.  After all, that's what these cars are for, in the first place:
having fun GETTING THERE.
Driving the Interstates has become, to my way of thinking, a "forced
march".  I find few things less appealing than droning along an endless
stretch of sun-baked asphalt, becoming semi-dazed by the heat & monotony
of the "super slab".  Combine that with big rigs, w/drivers who "no
speak Anglaise" (believe me, that is coming), and careening SUVs, and
you have the formula for the vacation from hell.
If any of you coming in from the east would like some route
recommendations; I'd be only too happy to share my route itinerary with
you.
To those of you coming in from the west; I feel your pain.
Bud Osbourne