Re: [Spridgets] Front End Reassembly

To: "Tannen, Skip" <tannen@babson.edu>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Front End Reassembly
From: "K. Valentine" <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:56:44 -0400
Skip,

On Mar 16, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Tannen, Skip wrote:

> First, should I put something on the inner wishbone bushings before
> seating them?
> I seem to remember reading something a long time ago that
> said you would end up with squeaks if they get installed dry.  Can I
> just use something like Vaseline or is there something better?

Depends on what type of bushings.  If they are rubber then I use
Never-seize, if they are Poly bushings then I use Lithium Grease.

> Also, do
> you lube the inner fulcrums pins with something?  It seems to make
> sense
> not to install them dry and run the risk of having them seize up in
> the
> bushings.  I was thinking of using Neverseize unless there's something
> that makes more sense.

I use Never-seize if the bushings are rubber and if they are poly,
then Lithium.  Whichever you use - goop up the entire pin.

> Lastly, my books say to torque the shock bolts,
> steering arm bolts, and the king pin nuts - is there anything else
> that
> should be torqued?  And speaking of the king pin nuts, it doesn't seem
> to make sense to me that you would just torque them to 40 and leave it
> at that - don't you tighten until the play is gone and there is just a
> slight amount of resistance when moving the stub axle side to side?

I just tighten until it feels right...... (I'm gonna pay for that).

Kevin V.