[Spridgets] 1500 Midget tune up and interesting timing procedure!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] 1500 Midget tune up and interesting timing procedure!
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:09:16 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hi Folks,

Just yesterday I passed a lady cradling her infant in her arms.  Nothing wrong
with that but she was driving a big SUV at the time.  Which got me thinking
that I need to tune up this MG in case I need to get out of her way in a hurry
one day.  This MG has got zero acceleration.  Sure, you can get up to 70 mph no
problem, but it takes a while.

I have got the ZS set up nicely, I believe.  The spark plugs are a clean, very
light chocolate brown.  The dashpot oil is always up to the mark.  Usually get
about 23 mpg.  So I think I will take a look at the ignition side of things.
I've got the Pertronix with the Lucas Sports coil, so I think I'll experiment
with the spark plug gap (upping it from 25 to 35 thou) but I have a feeling
that is a waste of time.

Meanwhile, has anybody got any thoughts on the ignition timing - I've set it to
the book with a timing light but I'm thinking it may need fine tuning.  Is it
just a matter of experimenting or is there a better way.  For instance, let me
quote from the Moss Motors TR3 catalog:

"Setting the ignition timing after a tune-up is simply done by adjusting the
distributor for maximum R.P.M. and then retarding the timing to give a drop of
100 R.P.M in engine speed."

Great, eh!

Anyways, my MG runs great. starts first time, etc, but when you put the hoof
down, nothing happens except a leisurely increase in speed.  I mean, at least
my Toyota makes a big screaming noise when I do that.

Cheers,  Adrian