[Spridgets] re-ribcase tranny alignment

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] re-ribcase tranny alignment
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 13:24:52 -0700
Pull the side cover and before you take the trans apart, operate the 1/2
shift and watch the shift fork operate.  You'll see that the slider gear
comes all the way to the back of the box when it jams (which is caused by
the three balls trying to pop out past the front edge of the 1/2 synchro
slider.)  Now picture a large washer that slides onto the 1/2 shift shaft
between the slider and the back of the box.  It will limit the rearward
travel of the slide by the thickness of the washer.  No more jamming.

On my A35, it jams a bit less than the usual amount and I found that I can
do a "1-2-3" pulll-pull-pull harder and un-jam it every time on the fly.
You might try the same.  I think the thought of coasting to a stop on the
freeway onramp pissed me off enough to pull hard enough to do the job.  Once
I learned it was possible, I never got around to adding the washer.  But my
earlier sprite ribcase sure benefitted from it.

Glen Byrns