Re: [Spridgets] Datsun Rebuild

To: "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Datsun Rebuild
From: "Peter Shull" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 17:31:59 -0700
Baulk rings ... "synchronizers". Good ones will "lock" up against the gear
using nothing more than finger pressure. You push them down onto the gear
and twist and they don't budge on the gear. The problematic ones would
budge. You push as hard as you can, twist, and feel them slip on the gear.

Note ... I do not know if these were "factory" parts. And I do not know if
factory baulk rings are available. I do know that some of them that came in
the rebuild kits apparently weren't beveled to specs on the mating, inside
surfaces.

As a side note, I'm thinking that the minimum tolerance for a baulk ring,
once it is pushed down against the gear, is something like 0.40 or 0.41.
Don't quote me on that ... it's just that I am too lazy to go look it up
right now.