[Spridgets] Progress on getting the Midget on the road...

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Midget/Sprite"
Subject: [Spridgets] Progress on getting the Midget on the road...
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:28:35 -0500
Well, I've made at least some progress.  I am now running a ventilated
system with the crankcase vented into a 16oz Coors Light can. It runs pretty
well once I re-set the timing. I have an HIF44 carb made to be used on an MG
Metro turbo. It has no port for pollution control!
Another PO thing I guess...

When I had the engine down over the winter, I installed a Pertronics Ignitor
and one of Jeff Schlemmer's timing mark relocation kits on it. When I
started it, it was hunting so I disconnected the vacuum line to the dizzy
and put the timing light on it.

Interesting!  It showed about 10 deg BTDC and needed to be *advanced* to
smooth out the idle!  Jeff's kit now shows it idling at around 30 deg BTDC
and idling like a kitten purring. I will have to crawl under the damned
thing and see what the old timing marks show. Either I didn't get Jeff's kit
installed correctly, or the Pertronics Ignitor changed things!  Anyone else
seen anything like this?

Next step is to bleed the damned clutch again.  I can't find another cap for
the plastic repop clutch master. I want to use a pressure bleed on it but
will need another cap to make a pressure cap.  Anyone know where I can get
one?  Also, I cannot for the life of me recall what size wrench to use on
the bleeder valve. No way my 280 lb body gets into the footwell far enough
to see the damned thing and I've tried putting box end wrenches on it by
feel to no avail. I've tried a 3/8 box and a 7/16 box but can't get either
of them to go on enough to turn the bleeder. What size is that damned thing,
anyway?

Does anyone know where I can hire a skinny midget to get in there and open
that valve?   ;-)

Only a few other things left to do with it and its ready for Lake of the
Ozarks....

Cheers!!
Jim

--