[Spridgets] My 2009 road trip

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] My 2009 road trip
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:59:47 -0700 (PDT)
Out of the "something I want to do before I die" part of my brain, it turns out
I'm going to be driving a 1953 Studebaker in the 2009 La Carrera Panamericana
2200 mile race across the mountains and streets of Mexico. For those not
familiar, www.panamrace.com. At first I was told by my co-pilot it was a 1951
Stude. I talked to the builder today and it's a 1953 Starlight Coupe, a
beautiful Raymond Loewy design (he of the Coca Cola bottle and many other of
the most famous and important industrial designs of the 20th century). Hey, by
the way - Zoom, is that what "Coca Cola in a Motorola Kitchen" meant? Anyway,
this is a very, very cool rally, with police escorts, townspeople cheering at
the checkpoints, massive amounts of free Corona beer...etc. Due to some amazing
generosity, we have at least one sponsor from Colorado who owns a Mexico City
parts distributor who will provide crew at planned pit stops with fuel, spares,
brakes, tires, mechanics, etc. They
 are also providing accommodations in their vacation house at the rally origin
for preparation.  We have some work to do on the car, but it's already well on
its way. It'll be festooned with period correct signage and lettering, and the
base color is, naturally, white. (How do you say "White Trash" in espanol?).
The 70 year old builder once held a Bonneville land speed record in a
Studebaker back in the 90s, and pieces of it are going in this car, like some
of the cage. He didn't want to drive the car because "Have you seen the
pictures of those mountains??? I'm too close to the end to take chances like
that." Anyway, any and all are invited, October 2009.

Woo hoo,
Ron