[Spridgets] Gas leaks

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Gas leaks
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:00:51 -0700
OK Folks I am out of ideas.

At freeway speeds I can smell gas but when I stop it is not apparent
where the gas is coming from.  It seems like it has to be the float
bowl overflows since all the lines are good and if they are leaking
speed should not make any difference.   For some years I have been
fighting grit from the gas tank - - powder coater blasted it with out
taping the openings after the tank had been cleaned.  Ran lots of
paint thinner through the tank before reinstalling, added two in line
fuel filters and grit still got through. After five sets of filters
and float bowl jets and needles I thought the problem had been licked
- - no more over flow at idle.  The pump pressure is also correct,
check last week.  But still smell gas at freeway speeds.

Thoughts???

Thanks

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition