Re: [Spridgets] Cross Country Trip

To: "Jethro \(J Foster\)" <tr3.4.me@gmail.com>, "Spridget List"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cross Country Trip
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 08:33:24 -0500
>I think I've always started my cars with them in gear.  Is there a reason
> NOT to do that??

Yes. Several reasons, in fact. When you push down the clutch pedal to
dis-engage the clutch, ALL of the spring pressure of your pressure plate is
pushing the crankshaft forwards. There is no oil circulating in the engine
yet and the thrust bearing surfaces will wear more accordingly. This is
especially critical in the 1500 engines because a little wear will allow the
thrust bearings to fall into the sump (unless you wisely pinned them in
place) and the reults CAN be that you lunch your engine beacuse of the newly
acquired eitght-inch front-to-back motion available to the crankshaft.

Modern cars insist on having the clutch down for safety reasons. It is a
good idea to have your foot pressing down on the brake, just in case. Yes, I
know that you just wiggled the shifter to verify that it was in neutral, but
it is a "belt AND suspenders" approach.

Likewise, if you are using the stock carbon-faced clutch release, you should
ONLY touch the clutch pedal to launch the car or to shift gears. It is
extrememly annoying to pull the engine for no other reason than to change
the clutch release because the DPO sat at stoplights with his foot on the
clutch.
David Lieb