Re: [Spridgets] Cross Country Trip

To: "Andrew Payne" <andrewpayne@intrex.net>, "'Spridget List'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cross Country Trip
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:17:10 -0500
> If one has done this, added to an unknown history is there an easy check
> for
> wear?  I'm not sure what you mean by "lunch" my engine, but it does not
> sound good.  Is this a rebuild prior to breakage issue?

Andrew,
If you do not have a 1500, don't worry too much about it. The advanced
design of the Triumph 1500 engine included a "feature" whereby the
crankshaft thrust washers were two half-circles. A minimal amount of wear
allowed them to fall into the sump. A-Series do not have this problem (they
have others instead like siamesed intakes). If you want to check, you can
have a friend push down the clutch pedal, then you use a crowbar to push the
crankshaft back and measure the movement (eyeball or dial indicator or
something in between). If you have a 1500 of unknown provenance, check it.
If you rebuild a 1500, talk to your machinist about pinning the thrust
washers in place so they cannot fall out.
David Lieb
1972 1960 1974 1973