Re: [Spridgets] calculating speed

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] calculating speed
From: "Matt Hagopian" <mhagopian@hoppetool.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:48:37 -0400
Wow, I figured I would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 110-120, I just
put in the new diff of 4.22 and I have 3 used axles, and we are going to buy
hoosiers. I tell you what, at 102 mph the car is very steady and needs to go
much faster! This winter when we rip apart the motor, we pan on getting a
few more HP out of it and maybe a 1000 more rpm to make it 8000rpm (we dont
even know what its safe to right now).

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:22 AM, David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>wrote:

>  Personally, I have calculated the top speed of my '76 as 62.5 MPH, for
>> that is
>> the speed at which the front wheels start to hop slightly, allowing the
>> steering wheel to be sawed backed and forth with absolutely no effect on
>> trajectory.
>>

> Drew,
> A vibration in the front tires at that speed means that the tires are not
> properly balanced. Yes, I know, you had them electronically balanced and the
> guy swears they are fine. If you look at them, I bet they each have a rather
> large weight on them somewhere. You see, modern rims are "hub-centric",
> which means that the hole in the middle of the rim is perfectly centered.
> Our rims are "lug-centric", meaning that there is a hole in the middle, but
> there is NO precision to it at all. The tapers of the lugnuts center the
> wheel in place. Few balancing machines these days are equipped for
> lug-centric, but most have optional bits to do it. Whether the operator has
> a clue or not, is another story. What we HAVE to do, is to watch when the
> balancing machine spins it up to see if there is any runout on the part of
> the rim you can see. If you can see it moving up and down, it will not end
> up balanced for your car (it will be perfectly balanced for use on the
> balancing machine, however). Explain this to the tire dude and he will
> probably understand and take the extra time to minimize runout. Back tires
> are not nearly so fussy because the rear axle bearings really limit the
> amount it can move. Any time you see a tire weight 3"or longer on a Spridget
> wheel, you KNOW they are not properly balanced.
> David Lieb
> 1972 1960 1974 1973

Sincerely,

Matt Hagopian