Re: [Spridgets] seat belts

To: "Midgetsprite@Yahoogroups.Com" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] seat belts
From: "Ed's Shop" <shop@justbrits.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:13:03 -0600
<<Or paramedics might not have a clue as to how to get you out if you need
to be pulled from a burning car.>>

As a Retired Paramedic folks, I can assure you Franks IS correct.

'Course it is also dam*ed difficult to remove a "patient"/"dead body" from
a LBC when the steering column is embedded in said persons chest.

Many years ago whilst driving my '69 Camino and being stopped at a red light
(east bound on east/west 4 lane street) and the north bound/south bound
street being ONE-WAY north bound the light turned green for me
and I gently started east again AFTER double checking the north bound
street for some idiot possibly not stopping (as I ALWAYS do) I was
NAILED (with SEVERE impact) by a HIGH speed car SOUTH bound.
Moved the 'B' pillar inboard roughly NINE (9) INCHES !!!!!

The Camino was a late one of the run and therefore had not only lap belts
but the Optional Use Shoulder Belt (which I was NOT [not ever will] but
I WAS wearing the lap belt.  I was sent (at a very high rate of speed)
to my right which put me down on the width of the bench front seat.

ONE MAJOR problem!!!  The age old adage of "for every action there is an
equal RE-action" applied to my accident!!!!  I returned to the upright
position
which I had just been in BUT there was this DOOR with it's panel AND
arm-rest!!!!  Sort of luckily, I got 7 'bruised' ribs.  DA*N they are
painful!!

Fortunately for me, 3 cars behind me (which I had noticed<G>) was a
Police Car (U of I Sworn Officers) who witnessed entire thing.  Also helped
that at the time, I was selling/servicing the 2-way radio systems of
Springfield's Police & Fire Depts. and knew around 90% of folks in BOTH
Depts.  Turned out the car's driver was so blotto that his interviews (FIVE
Officers<BG>) and then just TWO Field Sobriety Tests (failed BADLY<G>)
resulted in his arrest.  Later blew .205 (I will NEVER forget that on. LOL).

After the guys did some interviews with folks up the street from the crash,
the idiot had gone roughly 21 City BLOCKS and all the while accelerating!!!
Impact was estimated to be 93 MPH.

You wonder why I LOVE 30+ year old cars AND lap belts?!?!?!?

The Accident Investigation Unit guys told me a few week later had I been
in a "modern" vehicle I would have sustained VERY bad injuries OR died<F>!!

My .02 on seat belts for STREET vehicles!!

Ed
'63 AH BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey) with LAP belts.
'70 El Camino (Amber) with LAP belts (shoulder optional; NOT worn).
'70 El Camino (Blackie) with LAP belts (shoulder optional; NOT worn).
'73 Black Tulip MGB (Murial) with LAP belts (org 3 point system replaced).
'06 Malibu Maxx (Silvia) with 3 point belts & air bags.
.....(wife's; and I try NOT to drive it. [Although I love it] )