Re: [Spridgets] Off Thread, but need mens advice.....GPS?

To: cathey speichinger <cathe125@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Off Thread, but need mens advice.....GPS?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:46:32 -0800
I have had a TomTom for 3 years.  It works fine.  Someone just sent me a
Garmin Nuvi 200.  I am planning to run them side by side and see which
one is better.  The Garmin just got here yesterday.  I think for point
to point navigation when you have an address any unit will be fine.  It
sometimes seems to me that the TomTom has less POIs then the Garmin, but
I might be wrong, I just took a quick look at the Garmin.   I use that
feature lots to find places to eat and bars since I am sort of new to
Seattle.  Check back in about 3 months and I will know more.

All units will have minor problems where the maps are wrong or
incomplete, but most of the time that is not an issue.  I have found
that sometimes that I can choose a better route in Seattle based on the
time of day and traffic.  What is nice when I ignore the GPS route it
will select a different route.  Also the TomTom has a nice feature where
you can exclude a type of route or part of the route that the TomTom has
planned.  This is a great feature when you know part of the route is
fubar'ed due to construction or traffic.

-g