[Spridgets] front suspension question

To: Clarici Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] front suspension question
From: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:09:16 -0400
My Mk 1 steering is really stiff.  I pulled the wheels and find that
the right side swival is too tight.  The left will rotate freely.

So I need to add shims to the right front.  I have the wheels off jack
stands under the chassis and a jack under the right A arm.  It doesn't
compress the coil spring any without lifting the front end off the
jack stands.

Can I remove the shock attachment and the upper trunnion without the
spring letting go as long as the jack is up against the A arm?  Or
will the spring decompress and ruin my day?  Do I need to remove the
spring and play it safe?

I'm just not sure what's gonna happen if I unbolt the shock arm.

Ducking for cover
Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/