Re: [Spridgets] Weird clutch issue

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Weird clutch issue
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:39:22 -0500
It really seems more centrifugal than vacuum. Vacuum level should not
change that consistently that it is always 3000 rpm regardless of
load. I know there isn't much room if it is a VR6 (same engine
compartment as my VR6 GTi), but I think I would be inclined to put it
up on blocks, disconnect the slave cylinder so that it no longer can
actuate the mechanism and rev it up to 3000 rpm, using the brakes to
supply a little load so as to be able to tell if it is slipping. It is
quite possible that there is something wrong with the pressure plate
(remember the old B&B muscle car pressure plates that got more
clamping power as the rpm went up via centrifugal force? The Germans
got it backwards) and the linkage is pulling down the pedal rather
than vice versa. I am betting that the engine will be coming out
again...
David L