Re: [Spridgets] Hang up and drive, Pt 4

To: alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hang up and drive, Pt 4
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:10:25 -0500
It's the distraction, David.  You hit on the idea below.  If you are talking
on the phone your full attention is NOT on driving. I agree it is the same
thing to be gabbing with a passenger. One reason I love riding motorcycles
is I don't have to talk with anyone and I don't have distraction from radio,
CDs etc. I find concentrating on driving is a wonderful release from the day
to day drudgery of life.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:34 AM, David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "even using a hands free phone has been shown to be at least as large an
> impairment as driving over the .08 blood/alchohol limit. ....."
>

> I'm not trying to argue for phone use, but am just curious how a properly
> used
> hands-free phone is supposed to be as dangerous as driving drunk.  I have
> trouble understanding how (again, assuming it is properly used) it is any
> more
> distracting than speaking with a person in the passenger seat.
>
> I use a belt-clip to secure my phone to the shoulder harness of my seat
> belt
> (because I refuse to go thru life with little things with lights dangling
> from
> my ear).  If someone calls, I just reach up, flip open the phone and speak.
> don't think I am any more distracted than if I were speaking with a
> passenger
> sitting next to me.  I rarely ever make a call, but if I do, it is only to
> someone programmed into the phone. Yesterday I reached up, touched a button
> and said "Call Kyle Mobile" when checking to see if my 14 year old son was
> through with his cross country practice.  It did not cause me to wander in
> my
> lane or break concentration at all.  I concede that if I were having to
> dial a
> number, that would be dangerous, but then it is not a hands-free device is
> it?  I also conceed that certain passengers can be very distracting for a
> wide
> range of reasons, but that's a bit off-subject...
>
> David Booker
> Long Island

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein