Re: [Spridgets] New to Bugeyes

To: Skip Jackson <jackson.skip@yahoo.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New to Bugeyes
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 07:52:50 -0600
> Chassis #AN5-L/37190 a '60 or '61?  Is there a '61 Bugeye?  Is M19765 a
good
> transmission number?  Is 14950 a good rear axle number?  I'm tring combine
the
> body # on the driver's door jam with the chassis # to make a 15 digit VIN
#.
> How have some of you gotten a modern VIN #?

Skip,
According to Terry Horler's book, "Original Sprite & Midget", 37190
should have been built in March or April of 1960.

Car years on titles are frequently determined by the date of the sale,
so there are many cars titled as "1961 Bugeyes", although the only
ones that the factory is supposed to have actually built in 1961 were
"Complete KnockDowns" (CKD) and were shipped to Australia or some such
place.

There really aren't many differences from the factory in the
transmission or the rear axle. These were sourced from Minors, so the
early bugs were already gone. Your gearbox number indicates that it
came with the brass speedometer gear. All Bugeye diffs were 4.22:1 and
came from the factory with disk wheels.

You really do not want to argue with your DMV about VINs. Technically,
these cars have ID numbers, NOT VINs. The process for getting any DMV
to correct even the most obvious mistake is ridiculous. My title said
I had an "Austin-Healey Sprit", do you think I could convince the
state of Illinois that there is no such thing as a "Sprit"? Nope.
Others have also realized that you are best to simply transfer the
title as is.
David L