Re: [Spridgets] Unintended deceleration

To: "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Jay
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Unintended deceleration
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:48:25 -0600
Between turns 2 and 3 at Brainerd, MN.  The throttle cable was routed over
the top of vertical cylinders.

This was my second driver's school.  Nothing remarkable happened at my first
driver's school at Blackhawk.  Evidently, the long period of WOT down the
front straight and through turns one and two at Brainerd produced enough
heat to melt the sheathing on the cable.  Coming into turn three, a tight 90
degree right, at around 130 to 135 MPH and the brakes could barely overcome
the stuck throttle.  Fortunately, the throttle wasn't completely stuck, but
slowly returned.  Made it through the turn and back to our paddock where I
had a chance to change my pants.  Had this happened during the race (my
first) that came after the school when I was able to go deeper into the
corner, I would have been toast.

I wasn't smart enough to take this as an omen and quit this foolishness.

LAD