Re: [Spridgets] Rear brake upgrade

To: "'James Lempe'" <oldtimealaskan@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rear brake upgrade
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 00:47:00 -0400
Jim, I just did this to my Bugeye a little while ago.

You need the wheel cylinders, back plates and the two emergency brake rods
from the doner axle.
The brake lines also route differently.  You might want to use the doner
brake lines
but they may not be in good shape.  Best to get the flare tool out and bend
new lines
using the doner's as a template.   There are two brass straps that hold the
lines to
the axle toward the outboard, don't loose them.

This is a good time to change axle seals/bearing/o-rings etc...if required,
since you have to remove the hubs.  I had to buy a big socket to get the hub
nut off.

After assembly you may find the drums rub against the backing plates due to
slight
dimensional differences in the axles housings over the years.  If this
happens don't panic,
Take the drums to someplace that can turn them and have them remove about
.030-.040 from
the back edge of the drum.

Couple other things to watch out for.  The later dual acting cylinders are
held
to the backing plate by a circlip.  Make sure it is secured and won't pop
loose
Also don't forget to put some felt or o-rings where the emergency brake rod
pins go
through.  Otherwise they will rattle.

When you bleed the system turn the brake adjusters all the way loose first.
After bleeding adjust the hand brake with the adjusters.

Sounds like alot of work but it was not too bad.   I did it all on a
Saturday
afternoon.

The later dual acting cylinders are less prone to leak and I think that
makes
this swap worthwhile.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.