Re: [Spridgets] Speaking of Harley Davidsons

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Speaking of Harley Davidsons
From: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:57:41 -0700
  Its not the bike that makes you cool.  And that is fine if you want a
thumbs up from some people, and giving girls rides is fine too but its
not ME.

  Happily married 32 years and happily following her on her bike or
having her behind me on my bike.  When riding I don't look around to see
who has their thumbs up, I am busy watching the road.  And I really do
find the local watering holes boring so I won't ride there.

  See we are all different !  Ride what makes you happy, but ride the
dammed thing.

  Someone else said they chose a HD because it had the best resale
value, I really don't understand that one because by the time I get rid
of a bike, its shot, worn out and useless (but remember its my daily
driver for 11+ months of the year).  Maybe I will think differently in 2
years when I get rid of this BMW and go back to Japanese bikes, although
the Triumph 1050 Sport GT is looking awfully fine and will get a close
look when it finally arrives in dealers.  This BMW will be the first
bike I get rid of that is still worth something (I hope it is anyway),
no way will I own it when the warranty expires and yet its the best bike
I have ever ridden, when it works its incredible.  And I wont even look
at HD, I don't want that lifestyle, I ride by myself mostly not in
groups, perfect example tomorrow I am riding up to Laguna Seca (actually
Monterey for a few days) since my daughter and her bf are also coming
up, my wife will drive up in the car but no way was I going to miss Hi.
1 on my bike so I will ride up and they will drive, its a short 4 1/2
hours away.  Its been almost 2 months since I was on Hi. 1, too long for
such a nice road.  In between the races and other events we are going
to, the wife and I will take the bike further up North and play in the
twisties.  HD and the twisties just don't work well and FOR ME the
sitting position on a HD is absolutely uncomfortable, you are supposed
to be riding not sitting in a barcalounger but I have friends who I wait
for at the end of the twisties that say their HD is supremely
comfortable in their HD socks/underwear/shoes/glasses/flimsyleathers/etc.

  And to the one that said many BMW's have over 100,000 miles on their
bikes, yes the older ones, the new ones wont get there without lots of
repair work.  A friend has 130,000 on his 2007 GT and he has gone
through several rear drive assemblies (shaft drive) and engine parts and
has been broken down in some of the loneliest places on this continent.
My own bike has had nothing serious but if you walked up to it and said
"Go home" it would go to the dealer not my house.

    Ride, just ride.
     mike

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75