Re: [Spridgets] More front wheel bearings

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] More front wheel bearings
From: <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:45:56 +0000
You have to read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxie" to get the number.
;)

Robert

> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:01:30 -0400
>
> The information on front wheel bearings is overwhelming.  "Correct" R&M
bearings from the UK are $300 the set of four.

> There is much discussion of more readily available tapered roller bearings
from NAPA, but they have no record of the Timken numbers specified (05185,
etc.), so I bought the inners they specify for a 1974 MG Midget, which they
happened to have in stock (SKF BR30205), and they are clearly a complete
mistake, not even close in the outer diameter.  It is also not clear how the
shape of this bearing fits into the bearing race in the hub (I guess rollers
are not supposed to).  I assume the front Timken bearings are 05185 and 05066.
The picture of 05185 looks like an oil seal, and I have yet to find 05066 for
sure.

> Please,  someone tell this ignorant newbie what the numbers are for the
front bearings and where I can get them!

> Michael Rowe
> '74 Bugeyed Midget
> Long Island, NY

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html